After eight weekends of work, we have finally (nearly) finished the kitchen! With all the demolition finally completed, it’s so rewarding to be making visible progress each day. On Saturday, Jen sanded the final coat of plaster and we put on a coat of primer and two good coats of paint. The metal shelving from Ikea went up — with the normal amount of Ikea-related bitching — and we finally had a kitchen! The fridge is resting on three one-inch boards to be level, but who’s going to notice when cold beer is at hand?
Here’s a photo and a short list of materials we used. The next kitchen project (far, far down the road) will be adding cabinet faces and eventually purchasing a small range.
- Moveable kitchen countertop with drawers: Ikea Varde series with wooden countertop
- Fridge: bought from a friend of a friend (for too much, really, if you must know)
- Sink and faucet: Ikea Domsjo sink with industrial Hjuvik faucet
- Grundtal metal shelving in various lengths
- Paint: American Tradition Oregon Coast
- New water pump: Wel-Bilt Shallow Well Pump from Northern Tool
- Light fixture: the original Pizza Hut lamp that we inherited from George